Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Our latest "Adventure"

SOOO...Olivia has always had problems with her throat. She gagged and threw up all the time when she was tiny, then she started getting infections in her throat like once a month. Well, it wasn't strep, and she didn't have problems breathing at night, so the doctor decided not to take her tonsils out last year. Plus she was still only 2. So about 2 months ago, she started snoring pretty bad, so I looked in her throat and HELLO, there were her HUGE tonsils! I immediately made an appointment with the ENT and in the meantime, listened to a three year old suffer every night, struggling to breath. It was so bad that a couple of times I slept with her and had to shake her because she stopped breathing. Now it was obvious that her tonsils needed to come out, so last week we did it! She ended up spending the night in the hospital because they couldn't get her oxygen level up and didn't want to send her home with pain meds, which make it worse, until they knew how she would do overnight. I'm glad they kept her because when we told her she had to stay, she got so upset that she stopped breathing, turned purple, and passed out in my arms! I have never been so scared in my life! I spent the night with her, and she came home the very next morning with an oxygen tank! Her doctor thinks she may still have sleep apnea even without her tonsils! But we will get her healed from surgery, and cross that bridge when we come to it! She is doing very well, but I am very bored! She's not supposed to do anything strenuous, or be around sick kids or crowds for 2 weeks! She doesn't even want to play with her friends. So aside from a few breaks thanks to Grandmas, we have been together 24/7 for the last week. I'm ready for a night out!!!! But I am already amazed at the difference it has made for her at night! I always sleep with a baby monitor on, and the first couple of nights I had to check on her a few times because I couldn't hear anything! It's so cool and I hope once she is healed that she will sleep through the night again.

1 comment:

sarah baldwin said...

i am the worst friend ever!!! omg!!! i can't believe olivia had her tonsils out and i didn't even know. i remember something about it but it didn't really register. must be my distracted mind. i am so sorry. give her hugs and kisses from us.